Savoury Pie: Duck, Cranberry And Gin
27/03/2017 The winning Pie! A wonderful mix of rich meat and fruity cranberries. A touch of orange and mixed spice blends perfectly with our Cranberry & Gin.
Another recipe from The Gin Baker! This is a wonderful mix of rich meat and fruity cranberries. A touch of orange and mixed spice blends perfectly with our Cranberry & Gin.
A for Anno is optional!
Duck and Cranberry Gin Pie Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 rashers of Bacon, chopped
- 4 Duck Breasts, skinned removed and diced
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 20g Butter
- 150g Cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 100ml of Anno Cranberry & Gin
- 350ml Chicken Stock
- Peel of 1 Orange
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 320g ready-rolled Puff Pastry
Serves: 4 generous portions
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, and onion and bacon and sautee for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- On the hob, heat an ovenproof pan on a high heat and add the duck and cook until slightly browned. Place the duck in the preheated oven for 5-8 minutes, depending on size of breasts and how pink you like it. Remove the duck breast from the oven and leave to cool before using a knife and fork to shred the duck.
- Add the butter and flour to a clean frying pan and stir until melted and combined. Add the stock, cranberries (fresh or frozen), gin, orange peel and herbs. Add the sautéed bacon and onions and simmer over a medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened. Add the shredded duck breast and cook for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to cool and skim off any fat.
- Transfer the mixture into a pie dish and cut squares or circles of pastry large enough to cover the pie dish by about 1cm. Place the pie back in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and risen.